Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Get To Class: PE










Ahh, time for PE or gym class. I know, I know, I used to be the girl who dreaded when my gym period came around. Even worse was, in junior high (my school district had elementary, middle AND junior high and then high school. kinda ridiculous right?) when I had gym at the very end of the day. By the time I reached 10th grade, (my last year of needing a PE credit) I actually enjoyed it. I even ran the mile twice during the spring, in an attempt to shave some time off. Once I graduated and started having adult responsibilities, things weren't so easy or simple. Growing up, there was never a focus on active lifestyles or being healthy. Once I moved out on my own, I realized that being healthy and active, was how I wanted to live my life. Below, I have listed some items and tips and tricks and even people I follow on social media for motivation and inspiration. I feel that even if you are not a student who is required to complete PE, you can still benefit from this post.



Invest in a good pair of shoes. And by good I don't necessarily mean that they have to be expensive. Just find a shoe that fit your activity style, whether it's running, walking, or lifting. They also need to fit your foot and be comfortable. Here's where things get opinionated. I personally prefer Nike's. They are comfortable, durable, fit my activity style and they are pretty reasonably priced. I guess the biggest piece of advice I can offer you on this is, do not fall into the brand trap. Don't feel that you have to buy a specific shoe just because it is a well known brand or it is "preferred" or represented by someone. Everyone is different so, be blind to brands and find what works for you.


Invest in appropriate gym attire. This is similar to my shoe rant above. You really need to make sure that what you are wearing is comfortable and allows you plenty of movement. i realize that if you are in school, you might me limited to the fact that you have to purchase your schools gym uniform (yuck. i feel ya. don't worry, I've got some solutions for that too) but, if you are not in school, keep this in mind. Similar with the shoe rant, brand does not exactly matter. However, keep in mind that, while fit and comfort are important here, quality is equally important. You don't want to have a pair of gym shorts that fall apart after one wash. I personally like to wear leggings in the gym (NOT COTTON. let me repeat/rephrase, DO NOT WEAR COTTON LEGGINGS TO THE GYM/WORKOUT.)  and my brand of choice are the Adidas Climalite leggings (similar here). They are comfy and breathable and they fit really well. As for tops, I'm not so picky here except that I prefer tanks over tees. Just more of a personal preference really as I cant stand to have sleeves bothering me in the gym. You have many of options here and I have a collection of both breathable mesh and cotton.


Invest in a gym bag that suits your needs. This is sort of my downfall. I am still searching for a gym bag that works for me. I'm finding that what I need is more or less a duffel bag style. I have used backpacks, tote bags, even a yoga style bag and nothing seems to work. I am pretty minimalistic when it comes to a gym bag, I really just need one big pocket or opening to hold my clothes, locker lock and deodorant. It also has to be of good quality and be durable. I think, this again, is a personal preference and finding what works for you.


Don't forget your socks. Been there, done that and all I will say is, thank goodness it wasn't my cardio day. Socks are socks so just make sure you have them on or with you in your bag. Also, for you PE kids, this is where you can get creative. Stock up on knee-high or tube socks in a cool pattern or print. They even make collegiate ones or you can coordinate your school colors. It will be like homecoming or spirit week everyday. Heck, if I wore shorts to the gym, I would totally do this.


Find positive sources of motivation. The key word here is "positive". Will looking through a Victoria's Secret catalogue motivate you to eat healthy and get to the gym? No doubt about it! However, it's not very positive. If you are on Instagram or YouTube I HIGHLY SUGGEST you check out my buddy Dave from Dave Does Weightloss. This guy is incredible! Every Sunday, he has a confession series where he tells you where he is and what's going on in his weight loss journey from the previous week. If you are more a blog reader or you need a podcast to listen to during your workouts, then I also HIGHLY SUGGEST Nia Shanks. She is the founder of the "Lift Like A Girl" guide.  She even has a podcast that you can download straight from her site and iTunes. Her podcast is a very no-nonsense show that focus on different aspects of healthy living. She even has a segment titled "Stuff I Think Is Awesome" (the title is self-explanatory) where she tells you about a product or item that she thinks is awesome. Her podcast is very informative and motivating.



I hope that you found these tips and suggestions to be helpful to you. I am always curious as to what people use for motivation so please, leave your tips in the comments below.


Choose to make today great!
xo- Jessica

2 comments:

  1. Great tips! I deff need a new good pair of sneakers. And when I was in Hs, I was always the girl who skipped PE. And look at me now! Lol. I should have participated.... Oh well, u live and u learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! You skipped PE lol?! Did you ever get caught? I always thought of it as an hour of play vs and hour of book work...I'll take a basketball game lol. (even though i absolutely stink at it lol)

      Delete